Who Needs Contractors Insurance?
There are many types of independent contractors who all need independent contractors liability insurance and other coverage to match their specific risks. Some of the professionals that need contractors insurance include:
- Independent construction contractors
- Plumbers, carpenters, electricians, HVAC contractors, landscapers and painters
- Repair people
- House and carpet cleaners
- Freelance writers, editors and graphic designers
- Independent hair stylists, and salon professionals
- Horse or dog trainers
Normally, you will need a few different categories of coverage for complete liability protection:
- General liability: The foundation of all contractor insurance coverage is a general liability policy. This coverage will provide two types of protection.
- Bodily injury: Provides coverage if you or someone you employ causes injury or death to a third party during the course of work. It provides for medical care for the injured person and covers your legal defense if you are sued for damages.
- Property damage: Provides coverage if you or one of your employees causes damage to property belonging to others. This includes the building or property you are working on or any third-party property.
- Completed operations/product: Provides coverage in case a project you finished has an issue or causes damage. It can also extend to any products you sell or distribute.
- Advertising personal injury: Covers the risk of damaging another’s reputation or causing a loss through slander, libel or false advertising claims.
The specific independent contractors liability insurance coverage you need will be unique to your business. By working with a knowledgeable agent, you can ensure that you don’t have critical gaps in coverage that could leave you exposed to expensive legal claims.